Thursday, February 16, 2012

High Hat Cafe

I joined a fellow board member from the LGBT Community Center to continue my eating journey down Freret Street. We went to High Hat Cafe. Right across from the Sojourner Truth Academy, it delivers on the promise of casual dining with locally sourced food.

I started with a Satsuma Lemonade and was convinced by the waitress to come back later to give their Satsuma mojitos a try.

My lunch was the fried chicken plate that came with pimento mac & cheese and a bowl of greens. The coating on the chicken was cornmeal and it delivered a nice crunch. The chicken itself was juicy and tender. I really enjoyed the mac & cheese and tried to get my dining companion to eat my greens. A pescetarian, she tasted the hamhock that the greens were cooked in and wouldn't take more than that single bite. She enjoyed the BBQ shrimp and a side of the stone ground grits, which she raved about. We finished the meal with the chocolate chess pie. The crust was flaky and the filling delicious, making the pie itself the perfect Southern ending for the meal.

We very much enjoyed our lunch and I'm looking forward to returning to try the catfish and their full bar.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed it! I have heard some real mixed reviews about that place.

    ReplyDelete