Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Prejean's


I had a meeting over in Lafayette that ended around 1pm so I scooted over to Prejean's before heading back to New Orleans. Prejean's is a very well known Cajun restaurant that I've been meaning to try for a while. Unfortunately, every time I drive across the state, I seem to hit it at the wrong time of day.

I had a tough choice to begin my meal. As I was there by myself, I knew if I wanted to be capable of driving the 151 miles back home, I could eat an appetizer or have dessert but not both. Despite the temptation of Banana Fosters cheesecake, I was in Cajun country so I went with Croc de Jacques - deep fried bites of alligator. Nice flavor although I wasn't too sure about the cocktail sauce that came with them. I prefered them on their own. The round things to the side are boulettes (fried balls of meat) and tasted sort of like crawfish hushpuppies. They were a little too heavy for my taste.

My entree was Cochon du Lait Pie - slow roasted pork debris topped with mashed potatoes and cheddar cheese and baked in a skillet. What's not to like in those ingredients? The pie was very good - the pork was so very tender and flavorful and, while the potatoes weren't thoroughly mashed, they were delicious with the cheese and helped to cut some of the spiciness of the dish.

The server was excellent. She was quick and efficient - I'd get two thirds of the way down my glass of iced tea and she'd put another one on the table. The food came to the table fast and she was in constant motion, making sure everything was fine.

This is definitely a good place to stop for lunch. They advertise live music nightly, so take your chances with that as the food is worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment