Sunday, September 2, 2012

Clover Grill

At 900 Bourbon is the gayest diner in the nation. The Clover Grill is open 24 hours and sells the perfect food for when you've overindulged. Breakfast is served all day (and night) as well as burgers and other sandwiches. Food may taste better after midnight but, for my visit at lunchtime, the greasy comfort food still hit the spot.


I was by myself so I sat at the counter, where I could watch the magic of short order cooking happen. This is a friendly place, so I got into conversations with the people sitting beside me. I even used my phone to pull up the map for the route of the Southern Decadence parade so the couple to my right who were in town for one more night could go and experience the wonderful Labor Day weekend celebration that is uniquely New Orleans.

They claim to have the most delicious hamburgers and I will admit they are very good for the price. The large bun is toasted and the frozen patty is steamed under an hubcap. You can see it in the picture to the left. You can also see that cleanliness is not the highest priority here but most patrons have enough alcohol in their systems that the germs don't stand a chance.

They have all sorts of toppings for the burgers but I stayed with the classic cheddar and bacon. I also got the tater tots with it and they were awesome.

You do have to go outside for the restroom (that is itself an experience) but, for French Quarter dining, it has good food, good prices and great character. It is also a great place to people watch along Bourbon.

The menu is a crack-up to read. My favorite line was, "
Everyone brings happiness into this business, some when they come in, others when they leave."

No comments:

Post a Comment