Sunday, February 17, 2013

Chinese Two Ways

On Friday, Brian and I went to a dive of a Chinese restaurant in San Lorenzo. While not much to speak of atmospherically, it offered some of the best Sesame Chicken I've had in a long time.
Hunan Restaurant is on Hesperian Blvd next to Hot Tropics Private Hot Tub and Sauna Suites. They had a fairly steady stream of folks coming in to pick up orders and are fast and efficient in service.

We started with pot stickers and they were very good. Nice and spicy pork filling and enough of a pan frying so the dough was cooked without becoming tough.

With the aforementioned delicious Sesame Chicken, we also had Garlic Prawns. Very good flavor, although far too many vegetables for my taste.

On Saturday, we took a bigger group to a more upscale Chinese restaurant in Castro Valley. Silver Spoon Gourmet has a very friendly owner, Simon, who sings on Thursdays. It not being Thursday, we just had a nice conversation with him.

We again started with pot stickers, although these were a shade more gelatinous than I prefer. The filling and accompany sauce were both delicious.

I ordered the General Tsou's chicken. I know that it is not particularly authentic Chinese dish but I just love the slightly sweet, spicy flavor of the sauce over the deep fried chicken pieces.

Joanne ordered the Mandarin chicken which was rather spicy but I loved the mushrooms in it.

Brian had the beef with green beans that was a little bland in my opinion but, as he is on a low salt, no sugar diet, it was perfect for him. Unfortunately, my camera flash didn't work, so I don't have a good picture of it.

Stu stuck with his favorite of chicken with vegetables that had a nice garlic sauce but far too many healthy things on the plate.
Definitely a difference in environment, although both restaurants offered lovely meals with lots of delicious food piled high on the plates. Depending on how much you want to spend, you can't go wrong with either establishment.


No comments:

Post a Comment