Friday, March 26, 2010

Cafe at the Square

Sitting on the corner of Lafayette Square is an unassuming cafe that serves tasty comfort food for the modern businessperson and the occassional tourist. There is a sign for the place on Poydras but the actual cafe is further down St. Charles.

I had the Fried Green Tomato BLT and there was plenty of bacon. The lettuce was actually baby spinach and the combination was perfect. It comes with shoestring potatoes. My lunch companion had the Lafayette chicken with a fried egg and sauce and he cleaned every drop off his plate.

I sent a friend over the next day to try it and she reports that the gumbo is fully loaded with shrimp, chicken, or sausage in every bite.

The blackberry cobbler was a delicious way to end the meal. The vanilla bean ice cream cooled things just enough so I didn't burn my mouth until my last bite--but it was too yummy not to scarf down.

From what I understand, their breakfast is fabulous too so I might have to get back over there earlier in the day. They are only open from 7-2pm and they stop serving breakfast at 10:30.

No comments:

Post a Comment